Minutes of WG2 - Second meeting - Paris October 22, 2007
People present: Alvaro Barbosa, Sandra Pauletto, Davide Rocchesso, Stefania Serafin, Vesa Valimaki.
Stefania started with introducing the other WG members which were present to the first meeting (Flemming, Cumhur and Andrew).
The present members introduced themselves.
The minutes from the previous meetings were read and discussed.
1) Approval of minutes from previous meeting (10 mins). 2) Update on outcome of previous meeting in Stockholm (10 mins). 3) TODO list from participants of WG (30 mins) -Task for all the members: find 10 brilliant examples of sound design.
Vesa introduced his examples, collected together with Cumhur. The other participants also introduced different examples. This is the list so-far.
0. 1. Nintendo games: heavenly sword 0. Room acoustics simulator 0. Star wars sword with sound: 5 samples and an accelerometer 0. Interactive books 0. iPods and portable devices. 0. Virtual airGuitar with physical modelling 0. The Reactable 0. Karaoke machines (this was also a project done at MTG) 0. inaudible fish extension 0. supper surround stereo: when a mug is not a mug 0. ISON06 Murray-Smith student 12. Examples sent by email by Michael. 13. Interactive furnitures (like the Puff, a sounding couch)
It is important to find a classification scheme of such examples. This can be done by application (games, product design...) or by form of interaction or mechanical versus not mechanical sounds.
It is also important to limit the examples to those relevant to this WG. Sandra has started to collect the bibiography relevant to this WG.
4) WG2 website Sandra has agreed to be the web manager of WG 2. She will upload examples and minutes.
5) Suggestion for more members for the WG For now we do not need more members in the WG. However, we have the possibilities to invite experts. Suggestion to invite Ross Bencina (Audiomulch) -Suggestion to organize a product sound design workshop during ICAD 2008, where we invite experts in product sound design. Ideas on location, speakers and duration need to be exchanged.
6) identify companies and interested partners in SID. Task still open 7) List of own publications relevant to SID and WG2. Sandra is collecting the references 8) List of workshops /conferences /events related to SID. This task should be coordinated with the other workgroups, since lots of conferences (ICAD, ICMC, NIME, DAFX, AES....) are in common for the all project. 9) List of projects related to SID. Davide pointed out the website of the CLOSED project (closed.ircam.fr) which contains useful information in product sound design. This project is strongly related to SID. (especially deliverables 4.1 and 4.2 (everyday sounds classification))
10) List of software tools for product sound design. Still open. 11) Laboratories for STSM. Do we want to exchange students inside the WG? We discussed the different students which will participate to STSMs. Vesa has a student who will apply to go to KTH to work on synthesis of piano pedal. Alvaro has also some students interested in automatic soundtrack generation. 12) Training schools in product sound design
Next working group 2 meeting: April 5th 2008 in Florence.